Monday, October 30, 2006

not swallowed in the sea

Yes, I survived the Wales trip. But, it was definitely a 3 day long adventure.

Let's start with Thursday night. Our train left London at 11 PM, and arrived in Bristol at 2 AM. (these were the cheapest tickets). So Bethany and I figure that since our train gets there at 2, and our next train leaves at 6.30 AM, we can just crash in the train station for a few hours. Right? No. We arrive and the stationmaster was like, "Oooh you need to find the station manager as we're about to close down." As it turns out, the Bristol train station likes to close down for the THREE hours trains aren't running. Yeah. So we found ourselves outside the train station in the cold with nowhere to go...except the Holiday Inn right across the street. That charged 95 pounds for their cheapest room.

We didn't have a choice. We took the room. Then we overslept the alarm and missed our 6 AM train. BUT, it all worked out as there were later trains, so after a million years on trains, we found ourselves in Haverford West, Wales, around 2 PM. The free transport from the train station to the Presli Venture lodge wasn't coming until 7. That's a long time to trapse around a small time with heavy bags.

SO, after walking about and hanging out in a charming little pub, we called a cab and got to the lodge. Our driver was cool, he and his wife used to run a B&B in Haverford West. It's so beautiful out there, and he said that loads of people from London were starting to buy up property, making all the land values go upwards. Which is a little sad, but inevitable I guess.

I suppose I should explain what exactly "Presli Venture" is. A couple of weeks ago, we got an email from our school about this adventure weekend in Wales-- you stay at a lodge with homecooked food, and get to do outdoorsy activities such as sea kayaking, coasteering, and hiking. It's not just for students, people from all over come to it!

This past weekend was about half students and half british people. Bethany and I were the first students there (the other group, from Boston University, didn't get there until past midnight). So we hung out and met a bunch of random british people! There were a few that were mid-later twenties, a couple of older married couples, this lady named Mags from Scotland, and a guy named Neil who came ranomdly on his birthday. We all chatted during an amazing dinner of veggie lasagna.

Saturday morning, Bethany and I went to our first activity of sea kayaking. We had to don on wetsuits, jackets, spray skirts, life jackets, and helmets, learned how to hold the paddle, and set out on the ocean! We basically stuck near the coast and even went into a cave! the wind was INSANE, coming back was a bit difficult because of it. But I didn't capsize, and the views were amazing. And this was just in the morning!

The afternoon, however, was a bit more intense. Coasteering is basically scrambling and jumping along the coast/cliffs. Oh yeeeah. We had to wear these huuuge wetsuits that took forever to put on. and helmets, buyancy aids, thermal socks under our "trainers", aka my Vans. Which, by the way, aren't so great for swimming.

So coasteering. Major adrenaline rush, but AMAZING. The cliffs weren't THAT high, but it was still insane jumping off into the water. (and yes, dear parents, it was safe, there were certified instructors there, blah blah blah). There was one part that was called "toilet bowl", where the water just comes around a rock and forms this whirlpool-like effect. So fun to jump into!

But, since I'm Marion and all, something HAD to happen out of the ordinary. So we're all in line waiting to jump down into the water and swim across a small passage to get to another rock. The tide started picking up, and a huge wave started coming towards us. One of the instructors said, "okay, grab onto someone and bend your knees". So I held onto the guy next to me, this sturdly built guy named Alex. Did that help? No. We totally got wiped off the rock, off the cliff, and into the water. hahah.

FORTUNATELY, where we landed wasn't around any shallow rocks, we had life jackets on, the instructors know that area like the back of their hands so clearly it was safe all around....haha. The only damage was that I banged my ankle on a rock and it's a little swollen/stiff. But not too bad, I can walk fine and all.

Anyway, back to the story, so we're in the water and the waves keep coming and the current is pretty intense. So I swam perpendicular to the rock wall and then climbed over to get to where the others were. And now I'm glad I rock climbed at Commerce with my friends because that definitely came in handy. But yeah, haha, that part was hilarious-- mainly because we didn't die.

So yes, coasteering was great, and a good workout too. That night I relished my hot shower and dinner. And then after dinner, Bethany and I played Scrabble and Charades with some of our new friends from Boston University. So so fun.

Yesterday, we were supposed to go on a 7 mile hike, but since my ankle was sore, Bethany and I walked to the beach, which was a mile away. It was a beautiful walk...through the mud. and there was lots of it. But it was worth it once we got the beach and saw a SEAL! Awww it was cute.

Caught early trains back home-- and by trains I mean several, as we had to change a million times. Fortunately, we travelled with the BU people, so it was tons more fun. Played games of hearts and just chatted. Made it back around 10 PM last night, and was exhaaausted.

Work today was quite good, I'm acquiring phone skills. I'm not sure if I should run this week because of the ankle, but I really need to keep fit as I've been craving cadburys way too much lately. Which reminds me, I had the most amazing Bailey's Hot Chocolate in Wales this past weekend, and the guy (who runs 6 miles to and fro work at the lodge) showed me how he made it....mmmmmm.

I need to catch up on some homework, but that's basically it. Going to see Imogen Heap tomorrow night, which'll be fun. This weekend, Diane and I are going to visit Liam and co in Ashford! It'll be a good time.

Now we're at Bethany's parents' flat using wireless...I have to go restore my iPod and see if that prevents it from freezing up any more.

Photos: